onsdag 23 juli 2014

Scotland 2014 Walking on the beautiful, beautiful island of Luing




For me, the oystercatchers were exotic neighbours.

I left Blackmill Bay after breakfast for a day of walking. I was a little worried, I must admit: Would my operated foot cooperate?
I walked along the little road in the pastures among cows and sheep. Luckily, I´m used to cows, as a farmers´s wife. I can imagine that you have even more respect for the animals if you aren´t used to them.

 Sheep and cows grazing together.


On Luing they are proud of the red Luing Breed, which has been bred for its environment, doesn´t need grain but is fed on grass products.

 
I think that this little forest shows us how Luing - and the rest of Scotland - would be without human impact. 

Only an old stone wall? No: This is Kilchattan Church, probably from the 12th century. This church was the parish church for the islands of Luing, Torsa and Shuna and some neighbour islands. In late 17th century it was ruined.

 The traditional slate is also found on Kilchattan Kirkyard.
.

... and this is the new Kilchattan Church. Not in the middle of nowhere, but in the middle of the island...



Walking alone means that it can be difficult to be in the photo yourself... Thank you Lachie McLachlan and Hubert Duncan for this bench with the great  view over the sea and the way to Cullipool.



I have the greatest respect for bulls, so I was quite happy that this one was in his pasture and I was outside...

Sometimes I thought that our Scandinavian mountains and the Scottish mountains are very similar, but the yellow flags and the fox gloves showed me the opposite. These flowers we have to grow in our gardens.


Cullypool



This gate didn´t mean "Stop", but it meant "Close the gates behind you". And I can promise you, I never leave a gate open. I have chased cows too often for that at home.



The blackfaces were curious.


"This is MY pasture and MY path! Who are you?"
 This cow didn´t want to let me go. I had to ask politely and tell her that I wanted to walk along the path.
 
At last she moved away and I could continue my walk.


 I do hope that the sheep and the cows can appreciate their beautiful home. 

A very nice end of the day: An evening with the local school.
 No photos of  children on my blog without permission, that´s why the football may represent the lovely evening!



Thank you Julia - I saw your house and bed & breakfast and decided that I would like to stay in such a beautiful, peaceful place. That´s how I found Luing!

Inga kommentarer: